How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 31692
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Heres my question: If you aren;t married to someone but have

Customer Question

Heres my question:
If you aren;t married to someone but have a child (9) with them. Helped raise the child and live with them. But now one parent wants to move and take the child away, do you as the other parent have legal right to file for joint custody?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist. Yes, either parent can file to establish custody and visitation at anytime (before the child reaches adulthood). It's a good idea to get this done before the child and parent move in order to have the local court maintain jurisdiction over the case and the child.

Related Family Law Questions