How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Maverick Your Own Question
Maverick, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 6423
Experience:  20 years of professional experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have not received any child support years, I have

Customer Question

I have not received any child support for 12 years, I have received letters thru out the years from the department of child support agency stating the amount being with held from my sons father. My question is where is this money going to? since I've never received anything. I tried calling the office but have not heard back from anyone.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick. Please note that: (A) The information we provide is general information. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by communicating with me. If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given here; (B) Experts answer questions based on the honor system. When I feel that I have provided you with a complete answer, I will ask for you to assign a feedback rating so that JA will compensate me for my time; and (C) You should not be concerned about any short delays between your questions and my replies. Please know that I answer most questions within the hour if I am signed on. If I am not signed on, then I still make every attempt to respond within 24 hours. Thank you for taking the time to understand how this site works. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. WOW THAT SOUNDS STRANGE.... BE BACK IN A FEW...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. I understand.
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, for the delay. I accidentally signed off before getting back to your question. If they are not responding to your calls, you will first want to send them a letter by certified mail and make an inquiry that way and wait 30 days to see what they say. It sounds like they may be accidentally sending the money to someone else or keeping it for some reason. If you still do not get an answer, you will need to sue the department in court for claims of negligence and civil conversion and for a declaratory judgment action where court orders the department to pay you what is owed. One problem that may arise is called statute of limitations and the judge may ask why you waited 12 years to do something. So, he may only allow your claim for the last 2-4 years depending on applicable case law. Also, even before you send the letter go their in person to gather more information about what is really going on.