How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 116733
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Are you free to talk to JA: The Family Lawyer's require payment

Customer Question

are you free to talk to
JA: The Family Lawyer's require payment for their services. It's way less expensive on JustAnswer than face-to-face would cost.
Customer: all I need to know is what happens if I refuse to sign a divorce paper
JA: OK. The Family Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Family Lawyer can help you best. Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: we had a normal fight like most married couples do. and last night I seen that he downloaded divorce papers due to the fight. I don't want to sign so I am googling what will happen if I don't want to sign. I want to keep my marriage.
JA: Is there anything else the Family Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Family Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If he serves you with divorce papers, you do not have to sign them. If you refuse to sign, he has to get a process server to serve you with the complaint of divorce and a summons to answer the divorce complaint. The divorce then proceeds on a contested divorce docket and you can fight the divorce and property settlement.
Realistically, a court will not refuse an actual divorce where one party is insisting on a divorce. However, during the contested divorce, the court will urge mediation and even counseling and during that process many couples make up and the divorce complaint is dismissed. If the party still insists on divorce though, the court is not going to force people to remain married I am afraid and then the court would have to issue the divorce and divide the marital property.

Related Family Law Questions