Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

In Massachusetts, can someone be forced to pay back child support

Customer Question
or "retroactive" child support, if...
In Massachusetts, can someone be forced to pay back child support or "retroactive" child support, if they never signed the birth certificate or no DNA test was ever done?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
4/26/2016
Family Lawyer: Samuel II, Attorney at Law replied 1 year ago
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Hello​This is Samuel and I will provide you information in this regard.If it can be proved that the Father knew or should have known they were the biological parent, the court can order it retroactive. However, without a paternity test and if they are not listed on the birth certificate the child support will run from the date of filing and not the date of birth. Now, if it can be proved that the Father knew or should have known, the court can consider bringing it back to the date of birth.
Proving that the Father knew or should have known is not easy unless there is evidence that the Father was making some sort of payments or contributed financially to the child because they knew or suspected the child was theirs. Of course, only a paternity test can prove one way or the other with any degree of certainty.
Samuel II
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law