Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  associate attorney
84496330

Mom's guardian is keeping me from visiting even though I am

Customer Question

Mom's guardian is keeping me from visiting even though I am following the Visitation Order that the Judge handed down. Can I file a Contempt of Order?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship. A court order that mandates or prohibits conduct is typically executable through the police. For example, orders to arrest, seize property, or for injunctions, depend on law enforcement agencies to be effective. Orders for parenting time carry the same court authority and therefore are technically enforceable by the police. There is, however, a disconnect between theory and practice. In many cases, police officers might be unwilling to get involved in a family law dispute unless the conduct rises to a criminal infraction. If the police are unwilling to get involved, you can always file a Motion to Enforce with the court. A Motion to Enforce tells the court that the opposing party has failed to comply with the child custody order and is unreasonably denying you visitation. Motions to Enforce are conceptually similar to Contempt Motions. At an enforcement hearing, you can ask the court to:1) reaffirm the placement schedule;2) award you make-up days for the lost parenting time; and3) order the opposing party to pay your attorney fees and/or court costs. Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated for my time by the site.
Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?