How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask KJL LAW Your Own Question
KJL LAW, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1381
Experience:  Attorney at law Office of KJLLAW
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
KJL LAW is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Ok after 9/11 I lost my pocketbook & my ID.

Customer Question

Ok after 9/11 I lost my pocketbook & my ID. When I went to renew my ID I couldn't get one because I was born in Puerto Rico as Cyndia E. ******, but all my life my mom had me in school as Cynthia E. ******. I guess the American version of Cyndia. So I had no choice but to change it to Cynthia to make things easier being I've always been known as Cynthia in school & all my legal documents. After I changed it & had it advertised in the paper, I never got a chance to get my Puerto Rico document because I lost my papers. How do I go about getting my birth certificate with the new name on it?
JA: The Family Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No I haven't
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Family Lawyer can help you best. Is there anything else the Family Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: After 9/11 they got very strict about ID's so like I said I lost my pocketbook with my ID & I had to change my name legally to Cynthia E. ****** because my PR birth certificate had Cyndia E. ****** & all my life I was under the name Cynthia instead. I guess my mom didn't understand she should have kept me on all documents as Cyndia. Anyway, I did make the change to Cynthia legally.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Family Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon. Under the law you cannot change your birth certificate to the new legal name. The birth certificate is always going to say Cyndia because when you were born, that is what your legal name was. You were right in changing your name legally, and that will now be your legal name. I hope this helps.

Related Family Law Questions