How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask AttyHeather Your Own Question
AttyHeather, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 677
Experience:  Attorney with 15 years experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
AttyHeather is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We have been together 27 years! I raised his three kids and

Customer Question

We have been together 27 years! I raised his three kids and my three kids, worked two jobs , and took care of him! We have a home that we are buying. A mortgage, among other bills. We are separating, what areas my options! I am now, for the past 4 years disabled!
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  AttyHeather replied 1 year ago.
Hi, My name is*****'m an attorney with 15 years vigorous family law courtroom practice experience, and I would like to assist you in answering your question. My response is for information and education, and not as legal a[dvice and we do not form an attorney/client relationship. I do not know his situation and if he has a job or an income, or if he is disabled as well. If he has been the primary breadwinner, so to speak, you should probably ask for alimony. The length of the marriage and financial situation of the parties are important factors in determining who receives support, the duration and amount. You were married for a long time, so this factor weighs in your favor. The factors that the judge will consider in Washington in awarding alimony are:the financial resources and assets of the party seeking maintenance;the time necessary to acquire sufficient education or training to enable the party seeking maintenance to find employment appropriate to his skill, interests, style of life, and other attendant circumstances;the standard of living established while married;the length of the marriage;the age and health condition, and financial obligations of the spouse seeking maintenance; andthe ability of the spouse from whom maintenance is sought to meet his or her needs and financial obligations while meeting those of the spouse seeking maintenance. You should also ask for an equitable property settlement. Washington is a community property state, meaning that property acquired during the marriage is subject to division by the court. If you are buying a house, then hopefully there is equity in the house. Depending on what other property you own and how that is divided, you may be entitled to the house. In addition, I have seen situations in which a wife waived alimony in exchange for the husband agreeing to continue making the house payments. I do not know if that would be appropriate in your circumstances, but it might be. I hope that I have assisted you tonight. I know that you are going through a difficult time, but I'm glad that I was able to pick up this question and assist you. If I have been helpful, please let me know by issuing a positive rating to me.Best,Heather S., Attorney