Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

What form is required to suspend a divorce and can it be suspended

Customer Question
indefinitely in Connecticut. If suspended...
What form is required to suspend a divorce and can it be suspended indefinitely in Connecticut. If suspended, can it later be changed to Legal Separation if we need more time to reconcile.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
4/23/2016
Family Lawyer: Christopher B, Esq., Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Christopher B, Esq.
My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship. You need to obtain a motion to suspend proceedings from the office of the court clerk where your divorce case is pending. The typical court clerk maintains a selection of standard forms for use by people without lawyers. These forms include instructions. Then you need to contact your spouse to confirm that he or she agrees to putting the divorce on hold for the time being. If your spouse objects to a suspension of the proceedings, the court likely will not put the case on hold. Then complete the form you got from the court clerk for the motion to suspend. You will need to state the specific reason why you wish to put the divorce proceedings on hold. For example in your case, advise the court that you and your spouse are attempting a reconciliation. You will then sign the motion. You will then obtain a hearing date and time from either the court clerk or the administrative assistant to the judge assigned your case. Also, you will have to notify your spouse of the hearing. Attend the hearing and present your position, together with any evidence, to support your request to put the case on hold. You can later abandon the divorce and change it to a legal separation or drop the case altogether if you please. Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated for my time by the site.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How likely is a judge to take a new look at aspects of a legal separation such as husband not getting half of my pension, if my huisband has no intention of going after my pension.
If you and your husband are agreeable to you keeping your pension then a Judge should accommodate this. Your husband normally has to file a QDRO in order to get a portion of your pension anyway. If you are agreeable to the separation of assets, you can bring an agreed order to the Judge and it will basically take all of the decision making away from the Judge as the Judge will normally be agreeable to what the parties want.
Just checking back in, do you have any further question?
Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Lawyer