How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Olivia Kent Your Own Question
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 871
Experience:  Partner at Kent Law Group, LLC
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Olivia Kent is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex boyfriend. Father of my baby girl has not

Customer Question

***** *****. My ex boyfriend. Father of my baby girl has not seen her in a year or paid any child support. We are going through custody Is there an abandonment law in Arkansas?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: He tried commuting suicide twice I filed for custody and he is trying take her from me. He was very verbal abusive and anger. We have been to court and he decide to be his own lawyer when the judge told him to get one. The. He got real anger at judge when the judge post pone court. The. He denied my daughter so we had to do a DNA and he was orderd to pay half of that cost I paid for it all cause the DNA place wouldn't let the payment be apilt. I still have not seen any money for that charge. He has never help buy her anything I have done it all. I just trying figure out could I get him on abandonment and his rights taken away
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $36 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Olivia Kent replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. I'll be happy to help you. Unfortunately, it takes a lot to take away parental rights and what you describe doesn't really meet that requirement. Unlike in divorce, where there is typically a cause of action for abandonment in some states, it's not the same with children. I'm Not sure if you have a court order for residential custody/physical custody or legal custody but if you do not you could certainly file a motion with the court to get sole legal custody, which would allow you to make all decisions for your child. I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any additional questions. I would be happy to help you with those. I am also available by phone if you prefer that format. If you are satisfied with the assistance you have received, please submit a rating.
Expert:  Olivia Kent replied 1 year ago.
I wanted to check in with you to make sure you had all of the information you wanted to obtain when you posted your question. Please let me know if you DO have all of the information you need; please also let me know if you have any questions or need additional clarification about anything.