Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
26798026

I have a DUI pending in Illinois. I currently reside in MI.

Customer Question

I have a DUI pending in Illinois. I currently reside in MI. Will Michigan take sanctions against my drivers license? If the answer is yes are there any states that would not?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened. Yes, they will. Michigan treats any violation received out of state the same as if it occurred in Michigan. It may take longer for them to be notified of the violation than if you were stopped in Michigan, but your license will be suspended.http://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,4670,7-127-48296-88474--F,00.html I'm afraid I'm not aware of any state that will issue you a NEW license if your current license is suspended for a DUI. And in order to get a driver's license in a given state, you have to move there and establish residency. It would be extremely difficult to do that before the license showed up on your record - and you'd still be suspended once the other state found out. You do have a right to try to contest the DUI. If you are found not guilty, then your license shouldn't be suspended (unless you refused a blood/breath test). I apologize that this was probably not the Answer you were hoping to receive. However, it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand. Please rate my answer positively to ensure I am paid for the time I spent answering your question. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you.Good luck.