How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 29823
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am non custodial parent to pregnant 18 year old who moved

Customer Question

I am non custodial parent to pregnant 18 year old who moved with her 21 year old boyfriend. ..can I go to court on grounds of emancipation to end support. She graduates from high school in June
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

A child isn't emancipated just because she has a child of her own. However, you can move to terminate support based on the fact that she's no longer living at home if she has a job and has become self-supporting, if she and the boyfriend get married, or if he accepts the obligation to support her. You'd be able to argue that he's accepted this obligation by moving in with her and having a child with her. It's possible that the judge would order you to keep paying if she isn't working and able to support herself - however, you could still ask to pay the money to your daughter directly and not to the custodial parent (who presumably no longer has any expenses related to the child).

It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Thank you.

Related Family Law Questions