Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I am non custodial parent to pregnant 18 year old who moved

Customer Question
with her 21 year old...
I am non custodial parent to pregnant 18 year old who moved with her 21 year old boyfriend. ..can I go to court on grounds of emancipation to end support. She graduates from high school in June
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
4/21/2016
Family Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

A child isn't emancipated just because she has a child of her own. However, you can move to terminate support based on the fact that she's no longer living at home if she has a job and has become self-supporting, if she and the boyfriend get married, or if he accepts the obligation to support her. You'd be able to argue that he's accepted this obligation by moving in with her and having a child with her. It's possible that the judge would order you to keep paying if she isn't working and able to support herself - however, you could still ask to pay the money to your daughter directly and not to the custodial parent (who presumably no longer has any expenses related to the child).

It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Thank you.

Lucy, Esq., Lawyer