How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27626
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Pittsburgh Pa but my divorce agreement was written

Customer Question

I live in Pittsburgh Pa but my divorce agreement was written in Massachusetts. I have twins and since the divorce in 2002 my ex-husband has pain $75 a week child support, it has never been increased. Our divorce agreement stipulates that child support continues as long as the children are full time students. They will be going to college in Aug, is he responsible for continuing child support? They will be living on campus, if that makes a difference. But I believe their residence will still be at my home. I just want to know if pursuing this is worth it. Of course he believes child support ends when they finish high school.
Thank you for your time
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.
Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. Yes, it may be worth pursing, since the court order and the law, does allow and can require the support to continued to be paid. In Massachusetts, child support can continue until the child is twenty-three (23). Except for the absolute maximum of age twenty-three (23), child support does not end upon a specific age but rather when the child becomes "emancipated." Emancipation in Massachusetts is defined in M.G.L. ch. 208 s. 28.In basic terms child support in Massachusetts stops when the child turns age:18, unless the child is still principally dependent on the custodial parent (i.e. the child is no longer principally dependent if they've moved out of the home, except for college, is employed full time, is married, of has joined the military);21, unless the child is enrolled in a full-time undergraduate college program;23, no matter what.As such, even though you live in PA, the agreement was in MA, controls at this time and is enforceable against him.
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!