Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My ex said I never paid child support to the court when she

Customer Question
turned 18 now I have...
My ex said I never paid child support to the court when she turned 18 now I have to pay child support all over again She wanted cash when I paid her and never received a receipt so she didn't have to pay tax on it she did say I payed a few hundred here and there and on the document it says I payed nothing what can I do
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
4/20/2016
Family Lawyer: AttyHeather, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
AttyHeather
AttyHeather, Lawyer
Hi, I'm Heather Seegmiller and I'd like to help you with your question
So there are a few details I am wondering. Was there a court order requiring that you pay child support ever established? I'm assuming there is a court order requiring child support payments. Also, you speak of a "document" that says you paid nothing. I'm assuming that this is a child support arrearage statement that was issued from the administrative agency in your state that collects child support.Do you have any money order receipts? Do you have any individuals who witnessed you making the cash payments? Does your bank account show cash withdrawals regularly in the same amount that represent the child support money that was withdrawn? Would her bank account show the regular cash deposits representing the cash payments you made?By not obtaining receipts, you put yourself in a tough spot. If she claims that you did not make the payments, then you are still entitled to a hearing on whether you made the payments or not. You have the right to bring in any witnesses who saw you make the payments, you can bring in your bank statements, and you have the right to subpoena her bank statements if you think they might help. If you absolutely have no corroborating proof that the payments were made other than your word against her word, then you are fighting an uphill battle and it is going to be very tough. You need to brainstorm and think of any other evidence that you have besides your word/your testimony that can act as additional proof that you made those cash payments.At the very least though, if she admits that you did pay a few hundred here and there, you are entitled to have those payments added to the child support arrearage statement, since she agrees that you did make those payments.I hope I helped you with your question. Best of luck to you!
Hi, I hope I helped with your question. If so, please provide a rating so that I can be compensated for my time.Thanks,Heather S
Hi again,I have not heard from you since I answered your question. Have I answered your question to your satisfaction? This conversation thread is remaining in my que until I hear from you that I have given you a satisfactory response. Could you please respond and let me know that my response to you was satisfactory? If it was not, please allow me to further assist you. If I have provided you with excellent assistance, could you please help me out by providing a positive rating for me?Best,Heather S, Attorney
AttyHeather
AttyHeather
AttyHeather, Lawyer