Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer
Experience:  13 years experience, divorce & custody issues, protective orders, child abuse issues
20355756

I recently was recently a court order awarding me and the mother

Customer Question

I recently was recently a court order awarding me and the mother of my child joint legal custody etc. They filed a contempt order but it was dismissed and now they have sent me a letter (since I am pro se) stating I need to be in court on the 21st of April for the same contempt basically yet I did not receive her email until the 12th of April, the day her attorney put it on the court calendar and then emailed to me, What is the rule of law regarding a 15 day notification period being required, does this same 15 day period apply to Ga law? thank you.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Legalease replied 1 year ago.
Hello there ---Actually, Georgia court rules permit that notice regarding a motion hearing be given at least 5 days before the hearing date.2006 Georgia Code 9-11-6 (d) states as follows: "(d) For motions; for affidavits. A written motion, other than one which may be heard ex parte, and notice of the hearing thereof shall be served not later than five days before the time specified for the hearing, unless a different period is fixed by this chapter or by order of the court." Here is a link to a copy of the Georgia code section that I found for you (this section is about half way through the statute) -- http://law.justia.com/codes/georgia/2006/9/9-11-6.htmlOnce a case is started, the method of service can be whatever is acceptable to the parties and gets to the parties and so if you have an issue with the number of days notice and the way they are providing notice, you should bring it up at the next hearing and ask the judge to make sure that it is always done in a specific manner (such as a US mail letter that reaches you at least 5 days before the hearing date). -I hope that helps even if it was not completely what you would have liked to hear. Please let me know if you have further questions. If not, can you please press a positive rating above this chat session so I will be paid for my time? I am paid nothing unless you press a positive rating above (a positive rating is pressing the middle star or the fourth or fifth star on the right side of the middle star). THANK YOU VERY MUCH-MARY
Expert:  Legalease replied 1 year ago.
Hello again ---I note that you reviewed the answer last evening. Please let me know if you have further questions. If not, can you please press a positive rating above so I will be paid for my time assisting you today. I am paid nothing unless you press a positive rating above (a positive rating is the third, fourth or fifth star on the right). Doing so will not cost you any additional money -- it simply acts as the trigger to Just Answer to pay me for my time assisting you. THANK YOU VERY MUCH-MARY
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just wondering of there has been any changes to this rule since 2006 or it this the latest rule?
Expert:  Legalease replied 1 year ago.
Hello again ---
Expert:  Legalease replied 1 year ago.
Hello again --The referenced source, Justia cites three Georgia codes -- 2006, 2010 and 2014. The same exact rule is in the 2010 statutes and the 2014 statutes which means it is still in full force and effect in Georgia -2010 Statute link: - http://law.justia.com/codes/georgia/2010/title-9/chapter-11/article-2/9-11-62014 statute link - http://law.justia.com/codes/georgia/2014/title-9/chapter-11/article-2/section-9-11-6/-My original link was to the 2014 statute but for some reason it was kicked back to the 2006 statute in error (I was reviewing all of them when I wrote my original answer in order to get you the latest statement on your question and something weird happened and I apologize for that). -I hope that clarifies things. Please let me know if you have further questions. If not, can you please press a positive rating above this chat session so I will be paid for my time? I am paid nothing unless you press a positive rating above (a positive rating is pressing the middle star or the fourth or fifth star on the right side of the middle star). THANK YOU VERY MUCH-MARY
Expert:  Legalease replied 1 year ago.
Hello again ---Please review the additional answer and links above. The statute is current through this year. Please let me know if you have any further questions. THANK YOU VERY MUCH