How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 28046
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Thanks to me. With 50/50 custody what happens

Customer Question

Hi Thanks for talking to me. With 50/50 custody what happens if the domiciliary parent moves? Are they allowed to move where ever they want?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My wife and I will be divorced in June. My daughter is 3 and we have 50/50 custody with her as the domiciliary parent. We live close now and I have my daughter a great deal of the time. Yesterday I found from my 8 year old stepson who I love very much that she plans to move 78 miles away but still within the state. Is there anything I can do about this?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Family Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.
Good morning. Just to be clear, there is a court order in place regarding custody?
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.
Also what state do you reside in ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes there is and Louisiana. Divorce is not final until June
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. No , she can not just pick up and move and with the divorce pending there should be orders by the court already in place that restrict relocation unless ordered and allowed by the judge. If she wanted to relocate she would need to file a motion with the court and place you on notice and you would then be given a chance to object. The burden would be on her to show it is in the best interest of the child and seeing how custody is 50/50 the judge may not be so inclined to just take away your parental rights. If you have concern about her doing it now you want to file a motion with the judge and alert them and ask that an order be put in place restricting any relocation at this time
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!