Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

When my wife and I divorced, I had to give her a calculated

Customer Question
percent of the Boeing retirement...
When my wife and I divorced, I had to give her a calculated percent of the Boeing retirement annuity, at the time, I was told to remove her as the beneficiary, and it turns out that the Boeing retirement plan rules prohibit assigning survivorship. The retirement was treated as a “tradable” commodity like a car, and this isn’t the case, my ex will probably collect more money from my retirement plan then I will. Are the stipulated judgement calculations done the same even if I can't assign the Boeing annuity to another person?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
4/19/2016
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Yes, the calculations on the annuity, whether it could be assigned or not, would be done the same. Even though the annuity prevents survivorship, the plan has to give her the percentage share of ownership as ordered by the court. They calculate that the same way.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer