How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11798
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My name is ***** ***** and my question is regarding my niece,

Customer Question

My name is ***** ***** and my question is regarding my niece, Mu sister passed on March 31st, she left no will or arrangements for the care of her 11 yr old daughter. She was married at the time and my niece is now residing with her step father. I want to know if i have any rights as my sisters next of Kin. Also she does have a biological father listed on her birth certificate that has NEVER been in her life and has stated he does not want to be a part of her life
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: i want to know if i have any rights to be a joint gaurdian along with her step father there are no legal papers that i am aware of that gives him right as custodian
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Family Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
My condolences for your loss.Yes, as a next of kin you do have rights. You can petition the probate court to obtain guardianship over your niece. If possible, you will want to coordinate this with the stepfather to make any transitions go smoothly for your niece.I would be wise to retain a family law attorney to assist you with this so that you are not learning as you go.If you need assistance finding local counsel try Martindale Hubble (site rules prohibit us from referring specific attorneys) . Many attorneys themselves use this site to locate attorneys outside their jurisdiction or expertise: is a huge worldwide database searchable by location and specialty. The attorneys are all peer rated. So, they represent the top of the profession.

Related Family Law Questions