How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MIAMILAW1127 Your Own Question
MIAMILAW1127, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 755
Experience:  Founding Partner at Moises Law, P.A.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
MIAMILAW1127 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex wife sent receipts into the attorney general showing I

Customer Question

My ex wife sent receipts into the attorney general showing I paid her all back child support that was due. Now that she is mad that I took a 10% pay cut, she went back and told them I never paid anything. The AG now shows that I owe $16K in back child support and it is now on my credit. What can I do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thank you for contacting me. I am a consultant here and I am looking forward to assisting you with your question. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Please be patient as I will be typing my responses to you from scratch. Also, I can only answer/address the questions you ask specifically based on the information your provide. Please try to provide as much information as possible so I can best assist you.

You need to provide proof of payment to the Attorney General to get rid of the arrears.

Now, even though you took a pay cut, you cannot unilaterally reduce your child support payment or you will end up in arrears again. You must immediately petition the court to modify your child support payment because of a substantial change in circumstance (your pay cut). Once the court makes a ruling on that motion and lowers your support, then you can lower your payment.

I hope this helps. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have submitted information to the AG for a modification in my child support, however, my employer went from taking out $1400/paycheck to only $1250/paycheck and said by law this is the most they could take out?? Does that sound right?
As for the $16K, a good majority of those payments were cash that was given to her when I first moved out of the home. Other parts of that were payments I made on the house and car for her to keep them from being repossessed. I do have receipts for those.
My concern is that 4 months ago, she sent in statements to the AG showing that I had paid her in full everything that was owed to her. how can she go back now and say that I owe again?
Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 1 year ago.

By law they are only permitted to removed 65% of your paycheck.

You would need to prove that you are not in arrears despite her statements.