How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey, JD Your Own Question
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27109
Experience:  18 years of litigation experience.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Zoey, JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son is in Oakland County jail and he is a diabetic they

Customer Question

My son is in Oakland County jail and he is a diabetic they haven't given him his meds. Has losing his eye right. Can they do this
Submitted: 1 year ago via Cornell Legal Info Institute.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear about your son. Prisons are notorious for being unresponsive when it comes to providing medical treatment, and depending upon the seriousness of the condition, this can rise to the level of a civil rights violation. An inmate has the right to adequate medical care. The Supreme Court has held that a lack of adequate medical care is a form of cruel and unusual punishment, which makes it a violation of the 8th Amendment to the Constitution. The prison doesn't have to provide an inmate with the same caliber of treatment that he can get on the outside. But prisons are not allowed to be indifferent and turn a blind eye to a serious medical problem. You can get an idea of what courts have found to be deliberate indifference and what sorts of situations constitute a serious medical need here in this PDF I am attaching. It has been my experience that when an inmate needs medical treatment and isn't getting it, that family and friends aren't usually able to accomplish much by calling or emailing the prison. Generally, the authorities just give family the runaround and they won't address inmate care issues with them. If you&'re in this situation with someone you care about, the best thing you can do is to contact the inmate's lawyer and have him or her look into the matter. Lawyers can see an inmate without having to wait until visiting hours or days, which is more than what anyone else can do. They can see the shape the inmate is in. They can contact the prison's legal team and get them to look into treatement. They can also get the case back in front of the judge, who can order medical treatment. Another step you should take is to contact the American Civil Liberties Union. The ACLU been advocating for inmates rights all over the country, and even if it turns out that they can't take on your son's specific case, they may be able to steer you to someone local who can. The ACLU is at They have branches throughout the United States, and this sort of a situation is one that's right up their alley.

Related Family Law Questions