Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My husband and I have almost raised my grandson with the help

Customer Question
of my daughter for the...
My husband and I have almost raised my grandson with the help of my daughter for the first six years of his life..He now resides with his father and grandmother. His father will only let my daughter see him occasionally and she is presently trying to see him more but he gives her a hard time. Unfortunately, this effects our time with him as well. We are invested in our grandson and have supplied him with things and experiences his father cannot. All we want to do is be able to take him on vacations and see him once or twice a month. His father is unreasonable and often says he has plans with him when in reality the boy just sits home all day. My daughter is presently going to court to seek more time, is there anything my husband and I can do? We are planning a family vacation again in July and we feel the father will sabotage this in someway.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
4/17/2016
Family Lawyer: Roger, Attorney replied 1 year ago
Roger, Attorney
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.
Under Massachusetts law, grandparents do not have visitation rights without a court order, and if the parents and grandparents cannot agree informally, the grandparents would have to seek a court order for visitation.Grandparents have the right to ask a court for visits if:the parents were married and got divorced;the parents are still married, but are living apart and there is a court order about the separation; oreither or both parents are deceased; orthe parents were never married, they are living apart, and the father has signed a Voluntary Acknowledgment of Parentage” or there is a court judgment saying that he is the father; orthe parents were never married, are living apart, but the father has not signed a “Voluntary Acknowledgment of Parentage” or there is no court judgment saying that he is the father, the maternal grandparents can still ask for visitation. Maternal grandparents are the parents of the child's mother.If you qualify for visitation under one of the above provisions, then a petition for visitation can be filed, and the court can award you visitation rights if you can show the following:it is in their grandchild's best interest; andthey had an important relationship with their grandchild before the grandparent visitation case began; andit will be very harmful to their grandchild's health, safety, or welfare if their grandchild cannot see them.
Here's the link that provides this information: http://www.masslegalhelp.org/children-and-families/grandparent-visitation
Roger, Attorney