How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 31787
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband and I have almost raised my grandson with the help

Customer Question

My husband and I have almost raised my grandson with the help of my daughter for the first six years of his life..He now resides with his father and grandmother. His father will only let my daughter see him occasionally and she is presently trying to see him more but he gives her a hard time. Unfortunately, this effects our time with him as well. We are invested in our grandson and have supplied him with things and experiences his father cannot. All we want to do is be able to take him on vacations and see him once or twice a month. His father is unreasonable and often says he has plans with him when in reality the boy just sits home all day. My daughter is presently going to court to seek more time, is there anything my husband and I can do? We are planning a family vacation again in July and we feel the father will sabotage this in someway.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Under Massachusetts law, grandparents do not have visitation rights without a court order, and if the parents and grandparents cannot agree informally, the grandparents would have to seek a court order for visitation.Grandparents have the right to ask a court for visits if:the parents were married and got divorced;the parents are still married, but are living apart and there is a court order about the separation; oreither or both parents are deceased; orthe parents were never married, they are living apart, and the father has signed a Voluntary Acknowledgment of Parentage” or there is a court judgment saying that he is the father; orthe parents were never married, are living apart, but the father has not signed a “Voluntary Acknowledgment of Parentage” or there is no court judgment saying that he is the father, the maternal grandparents can still ask for visitation. Maternal grandparents are the parents of the child's mother.If you qualify for visitation under one of the above provisions, then a petition for visitation can be filed, and the court can award you visitation rights if you can show the following:it is in their grandchild's best interest; andthey had an important relationship with their grandchild before the grandparent visitation case began; andit will be very harmful to their grandchild's health, safety, or welfare if their grandchild cannot see them.
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Here's the link that provides this information: