How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27198
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a single father wanting full custody

Customer Question

I am a single father wanting full custody
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.
Good morning. Where is the child now? Were you married to the mother at the time of the child's birth?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He lives with me. We were never married. She doesn't work, but receives income from her rental property. Does not help with childcare payments. Only watches him if she needs me to watch her daughter to go out. It's not working.
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.
Great to hear back from you and thank you for the additional information. Based upon what you shared above, you would need to proceed through the court and have full custody ordered. Since you were never married, you would first need to establish that you are the biological father. Then, you would have standing to ask the Judge to award you custody and that decision will be based upon the best interest of the child. You can present evidence to show the history and how you have raised her to date and show the Judge the child is better off with you and to simply allow the mother visitation. Moreover, if you have full custody, then you can ask to be awarded child support as well, to help with the financial cost and care. Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

Related Family Law Questions