Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Partner at Kent Law Group, LLC
92304199

How do I defend myself from having to pay Petitioner's

Customer Question

How do I defend myself from having to pay Petitioner's (female) attorney's fees?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Olivia Kent replied 1 year ago.
Hello again! In general, it is assumed that each person will pay their own legal fees. However, if someone petitions the court to have the other side pay their legal fees the court looks at the income discrepancies (if there are any). Generally, the greater the income discrepancies, the more likely that the spouse making more will be made to pay fees if the other party asks. Occasionally, asking the court to make the other side pay their attorneys fees is a calculated more meant to shorten the length of the divorce process (who wants to pay two sets of fees long term?). I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions or you need me to clarify anything. Please also submit a rating if you're satisfied with your assistance; this will not cost you anything extra and it's the only way we get credit for assisting you. And please don't feel like we have to stop talking after you submit a rating. I'd be more than happy to continue working with you after that as well.
Hello again :) I wanted to check in with you to make sure you had all of the information you wanted to obtain when you posted your question. Please let me know if you DO have all of the information you need; please also let me know if you have any questions or need additional clarification about anything.