How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 102146
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son was just picked up on a purge warrant. Has to pay $2000

Customer Question

My son was just picked up on a purge warrant. Has to pay $2000 to get out of jail. He is a student, in an eight month vocational program, and no income. Are there any other options to get him out of jail?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. Is this for child support?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. My apologies, this is live, so it takes a few second for me to type out an answer.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
On this website, I do not always get to give good news, and this is one of these times. A purge warrant is based on the child support arrears amount. He is not going to be able to get out until: -the purge amount is paid, or-he has a hearing and the Judge determines what he CAN pay even if it is not the full amount and that reduced amount is paid, or-an attorney files a motion for him to reduce the amount based on what he can pay. The last two options are essentially identical, where the Court lowers the amount to pay. However using the attorney, the hearing for this may be faster than him simply waiting for it in the county jail. Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty. I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.