Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My boyfriend received a email stating that constables from

Customer Question
family court are looking for...
my boyfriend received a email stating that constables from family court are looking for him..
we live 4 states away. and the paperwork is a month old.. there never been a support order created .. what will happen ? warrant??
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/15/2016
Family Lawyer: Chris T., JD, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Lawyer
Hello. I'll be happy to assist you.Are you sure it is a legitimate email? In other words, are you sure it isn't a scam?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
that i am not sure of but worse case scenario if it was true and a constable was leaving a letter at a old address or sending mail in the post mail to address he does not live in .. what can arise from not responding. he has 1 support order that has a negative balance of 300 making him well in compliance.so unless there a random child i dont see there being a issue. maybe its a hoax but i like to just know.
That would be the first thing to figure out. I suggest that he look up the phone number for that constable's office and call them to see if it is legitimate. If it is, he basically has three options. First, he can pay whatever he owes in arrears. Second, he can turn himself in if there is indeed a warrant. Third, he can ignore it. Since he no longer lives in state. I suggest he call and find out. If there are legitimate arrears, he should pay them, and the warrant will likely be withdrawn.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
what i am asking is if the constable can not reach me will a bench warrant be issued. will bank acct be frozen.. i thought you needed due process to be served.. how can there be arrears if he never been to court. to receive a debt? how can they place a amount of debt if it has never been set?
Yes, a bench warrant can be issued, and they can garnish your wages. They are required to serve you with notice of intent to levy your accounts or garnish your wages. If that happens, he will have an opportunity to contest the garnishment or levy.
Do you have any questions? If so, feel free to ask. If not, please remember to "rate" my answer before you go.
Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Lawyer