How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Knowitalll Your Own Question
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7415
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Knowitalll is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been served divorce papers. I own a business. It is

Customer Question

I have been served divorce papers. I own a business. It is stated I am not allowed to sell the business without the judges permission. How do I go about getting the judges permission?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I'll be happy to assist you.You will need to file a motion in the divorce case giving notice to the judge and your wife that you intend to sell the business, the details of the sale, and for "leave of court" to proceed with the sale. Your wife will then have the chance to respond, either by objecting to the sale or agreeing to it. The court puts restrictions on the parties in this way because those are community assets that are supposed to be divided up during the divorce process. The court just wants to be sure you are getting a fair price for the business and give your wife a chance to see the details of the sale, since it potentially impacts her, as well.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can you opt out so other experts can answer
Expert:  Knowitalll replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Another expert here. I reviewed the answer that you received from Chris, and I find that it is very accurate and complete. What other information are you seeking with regard to a possible sale of your business in view of the pending divorce proceeding and restraining order?