How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 29803
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been legally divorced since 2009. My ex-wife

Customer Question

I have been legally divorced since 2009.
My ex-wife remarried in 2014.
We have an 11 year old daughter.
Her ex-husband has been paying their family medical insurance monthly bill since they have a 2 year old son.
My ex-wife is making it as though she is personally paying the medical Insurance.
She wants me to pay half of the portion that pertains to my daughter.
Am I legally obligated to pay 1/2 of the Medical Insurance portion that pertains tomy daughter?
Thank you
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

You only have to pay if there is a custody and support order that requires you to provide health insurance for your daughter. She's allowed to choose to have her spouse provide health care instead of doing it herself if it saves money - all income and expenses are part of the community property, so it doesn't matter which of them is paying. But she can't stick you with any portion of the bill without a court order that makes you responsible for it.

It IS possible to get a court order for support where there is shared custody, or for reimbursement for medical insurance, if one spouse makes significantly more than the other. Her new husband's income is not legally relevant. But it's up to her to file if she thinks she has a right to that money.

It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Thank you.