Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I have been legally divorced since 2009. My ex-wife

Customer Question
Hello, I have been legally divorced...
I have been legally divorced since 2009.
My ex-wife remarried in 2014.
We have an 11 year old daughter.
Her ex-husband has been paying their family medical insurance monthly bill since they have a 2 year old son.
My ex-wife is making it as though she is personally paying the medical Insurance.
She wants me to pay half of the portion that pertains to my daughter.
Am I legally obligated to pay 1/2 of the Medical Insurance portion that pertains tomy daughter?
Thank you
Thankyou
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
4/14/2016
Family Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

You only have to pay if there is a custody and support order that requires you to provide health insurance for your daughter. She's allowed to choose to have her spouse provide health care instead of doing it herself if it saves money - all income and expenses are part of the community property, so it doesn't matter which of them is paying. But she can't stick you with any portion of the bill without a court order that makes you responsible for it.

It IS possible to get a court order for support where there is shared custody, or for reimbursement for medical insurance, if one spouse makes significantly more than the other. Her new husband's income is not legally relevant. But it's up to her to file if she thinks she has a right to that money.

It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Thank you.

Lucy, Esq., Lawyer