How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 19627
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im only 16 years old (Female). However I have divorced

Customer Question

Hi, im only 16 years old (Female). However I have divorced parents. My mother is remarried but my father is not. My stepfather is in the military. I personally have a good relationship with all of my 3 parents. I live with my mom and step father but I see my dad on the weekends and whenever I can. Being that my step dad is in the navy, he got orders and is stationed in another state for a year. My mom plans to be moving us over their with him for the summer till fall. I was excited about it at first but after a few days I asked my mom how we were going to do it so that I could see my dad and my older brothers. (I stay with my dad every summer, & my brothers live with my dad) My mom told me that we didnt have to arrange anything, I wouldn't see my dad or anyone and that I was going with her and thats it. I told my dad about it and he was upset but he just told me that it was whatever I wanted.. but what I want is to see my dad and brothers. Right now I dont see them every weekend due to my extra curricular activities but I know that if I ever wanted to see them for the day, they would be their to see me. I miss them plenty knowing their only an hour away. It all changes if I moved states.. just to see them would be a whole plane ride. I spoke to my mom about it again today & she continued to say I was going wether i liked it or not and that there is nothing I can do about it. her and I are close but when i bring it up shes a whole other person and gets very angry.. i can see how it might make her mad that I dont wanna go and I know it doesn't revolve around me but me staying would not make her go out of her way.. if anything it would be easier because im one less child she would have to worry about over their. (I have 3 younger brothers which are from my mom and step dad) im not trying to go against my mom in anyway at all.. i just want to be able to see my big brothers and my dad whom I am very close to. I enjoy being with them. & I always miss them. What could i do about this ? Do I actually have any rights ? Is there something I can do about it ? as my mom says otherwise ? Its scary and hard because were leaving within the next month and I have no idea where ill be.. please gwt back to me. Any answer or advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you - Nadia.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Your dad should file complaint for modification of custody and ask the Court to allow you to stay with him and your older brothers. Your dad must state his reasons for the request just like you did on your post here: your mother is relocating to another State and you want to be closer to your older siblings. Otherwise, you cannot just go to Court on your own and ask the Court to allow you to stay with your father and older brothers. Your father should be the one to do so. For modification of custody forms and instructions, click on the link below: Kindly give a positive rating to my post so that I can receive credit for answering your question—so that part of the deposit that you already paid to the site can be transferred to me. You are not charged extra for doing this. Thank you for your cooperation.