How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalGems Your Own Question
LegalGems, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 10222
Experience:  Experienced Family Law Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LegalGems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My granddaughter was charged with neglect of her baby. she

Customer Question

my granddaughter was charged with neglect of her baby. she was just 17. how does this affect her life
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.
Were any criminal charges filed, or was this to terminate parental rights?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this was to terminate her rights
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She has signed off but has filed an appeal She is worried how this will affect her ability to get a job
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.
Generally it will only affect one's job prospects if they are terminated by the child protective services as that will be revealed in a background check; however, other than that, it generally will not have an impact.For example, if a person has a child in the future, and they no longer engage in the activity that resulted in the termination, then that generally will not have an effect, particularly if the termination was in the distant past. Any court order is a matter of public record, so it will depend on what the employer finds out- but generally it needs to relate to the job - for example, a DUI can have more of an impact in someone going in to the financial or legal field, or professional driving field, than say a clerk.
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.
If the rights were terminated by court order, it is very hard to get a reversal- it usually requires an appeal, which is an expensive process that requires a mistake of law/fact in order to do so successfully.