Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I was in the process of settling my child custody case. My

Customer Question
lawyer just quit responding to...
I was in the process of settling my child custody case. My lawyer just quit responding to the opposing lawyer. They have completely bullied me during this whole process and I have been made to feel I'm on my own. Should I get a new attorney?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There is a guardian appointed to our case due to my 6 year old telling judge bad things that his dad was telling him about me.
4/13/2016
Family Lawyer: Chris T., JD, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Lawyer
Hello. I'll be happy to assist you.Whether you should get a new lawyer is not something I can decide for you, since there are many factors involved. One very important factor is whether you can afford a new lawyer to get in the case at this point. Regarding the lawyer making you feel bullied, that could be due to the lawyer attempting to get you to settle the case for what he thinks is a fair deal, whereas you may not agree. Lawyers can sometimes get frustrated with clients when they will not accept what they think is a fair deal. Keep in mind, your lawyer has probably settled hundreds of divorce cases, and this is probably just your first. I'm not saying you should or shouldn't settle or defending your lawyer, I'm just trying to explain why he/she may be agressively selling you on whatever deal is on the table. As far as your lawyer not communicating with the other side, that is more of a problem. Lawyers are required to communicate with opposing counsel, and to communicate your counter-offers to the other side (as well as communicate theirs to you). If communication has broken down, that would be a good reason to get a new lawyer. Before you do that, though, I'd check to see if there is a reason for the communication breakdown. If it's just negligence on your lawyer's part, you should strongly consider a new attorney.
Do you have any questions? If so, feel free to ask. If not, please remember to "Rate" my answer before you go.
Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Lawyer