How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 118147
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have two children with my husband and have been with him

Customer Question

I have two children with my husband and have been with him eleven years. We were both on drugs before we had children. I cleaned my act up and am doing much more productive activities with my life since I became a mother six years ago. I am close to graduating college and I work a full time job. My husband on the other hand is not as strong a person as I am. I moved my children and myself into a new home and have not been living with him since September of last year. I am the sole provider for my two very rotten children. He refuses to accept responsibility for his mistakes and abuses all help that I have gotten for him. I asked several times to get marital counseling but he would not attempt to save our marriage. I don't have any patients left and I don't want to be married to him any longer. He is like an anchor to this family and I can't move on with my life with him. I care for him but NO LONGER LOVE him! He has taken and even stolen from me and my children. He doesn't show any signs of remorse nor contributes anything to help financially support the family. Is this considered as grounds for a divorce and if so then what is my first few moves? Please help me and it will be very much appreciated!
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He talks about becoming a responsible adult and has been talking the same talk for as long as I can remember. But has not made any effort to change his extracurricular activities. This worries me because I fell for it for years and he may fool the judge too. The only thing that will show otherwise is the documentation of the drug programs that he has already failed in and his grandfather has those.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You absolutely have grounds for divorce and your first move is going to an attorney (if you cannot afford an attorney, then legal aid would be the place you can find low cost or free representation). The process of divorce starts with you filing a complaint for divorce and child custody in the local family court. You would then serve him a copy of the petition and a summons to answer the divorce. This begins the process.
Here are the SC forms for divorce without representation:
The instructions for filing all the forms are on that page.