How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Olivia Kent Your Own Question
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1037
Experience:  Partner at Kent Law Group, LLC
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Olivia Kent is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband and I (We are Iranian,US citizen and live in California)

Customer Question

My husband and I (We are Iranian,US citizen and live in California) adopted a child from Iran, (His mom was our maid , one day she left and never came back, we file an adoption case through Family court in Iran, after a while we could get the full and final guardianship Court order, now he has birth certificate under our name, Passport, in mid time we started the process of being as approved adoption parent in USA, we got our Home Study, and all required document, even immigration made us to go with some licensed adoption company, so they can approve our document , now we just got a letter from court that they need an evidence that we looked for the mom and we could not find her, we don't have this evidence, but when WIO and court approved and gave the court order for full and final guardianship, it means they checked and they are sure there is no evidence of parents of child, other than that they would not give us the court order. What can I do , end of this month it is his fourth years of his birthday and still we can not bring him in USA to live with us here.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Olivia Kent replied 1 year ago.
In cases such as these it's important to show WHAT you did to try to find the birth mom - for example, notice in newspapers, contact with her family, friends, etc. OR, a statement from her that she was giving her child up for adoption. It's very unusual to see a situation where a mom just disappears so the courts are essentially just doing their due diligence to ensure that nothing inappropriate happened. If you don't already have an attorney I would advise that you get one if you want to bring this child home at some point. You will likely need both an attorney in the US and in Iran. I recognize that is not a small cost... but unfortunately in adoptions - particularly oversees adoptions - they tend to be necessary. I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions or you need me to clarify anything. Please also submit a rating if you're satisfied with your assistance; this will not cost you anything extra but it's the only way we get credit for assisting you. And please don't feel like we have to stop talking after you submit a rating. I'd be more than happy to continue working with you after that as well.
Expert:  Olivia Kent replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I wanted to check in with you to make sure you had all of the information you wanted to obtain when you posted your question. Please let me know if you have any questions or need additional clarification about anything.