How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel II Your Own Question
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was divorced from my ex wife in 2011. I worked post

Customer Question

I was divorced from my ex wife in 2011. I worked for the post office, and have always had the family plan because of my children. I did not know that I had to inform them that I was divorced, now I just got a bill for $35,479 for services since our divorce, because I was trying to do the right thing and tell them that I was divorced. Do I have any recourse in order to have them bill her instead of me?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.
Hello BradThis is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard. It is the responsibility of the employee/spouse who is paying the premium to notify the employer of any changes such as divorce. And you could have kept your children on the plan and had the ex removed.If you can show that your ex used the plan, you could try to sue her for the amount. But unfortunately you have no recourse against your employer.I wish it was better news.