How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Maverick Your Own Question
Maverick, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 6392
Experience:  20 years of professional experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If me and my ex have joint custody of our boys and have them

Customer Question

if me and my ex have joint custody of our boys and have them equil amounts how much money does she have to make so I wouldn't have to pay her support
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick. Please note that: (A) The information we provide is general information. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by communicating with me. If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given here; (B) Experts answer questions based on the honor system. When I feel that I have provided you with a complete answer, I will ask for you to assign a feedback rating so that JA will compensate me for my time; and (C) You should not be concerned about any short delays between your questions and my replies. Please know that I answer most questions within the hour if I am signed on. If I am not signed on, then I still make every attempt to respond within 24 hours. Thank you for taking the time to understand how this site works. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. Answer will follow in the pane below as per above parameters….
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.
ANSWER:The child support statute is written in terms of custodial and non custodial parent, and is silent with respect to joint custody.When a child spends equal time with both parents, the Third Department case of Baraby v Baraby held that in order to comply with the steps under DRL 240, the parent with the greater income shall be deemed the non custodial parent, while the custodial parent shall be the parent with the lesser income. So if she has less income, then you would be the non-custodial parent; and the opposite is also true. Based on the above, then you would use this link to calculate child support.

Related Family Law Questions