How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11842
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex .f. and I got married in Canada in 2002 quick wedding,

Customer Question

My ex b.f. and I got married in Canada in 2002 quick wedding, then back to USA, live separate lives, filed taxes as single and me head of household with my 2 kids. No assets or record filed as husband and wife. I met someone and married here in FL. My ex b.f. want me to sign a divorce paper. (He was aware and gave me permission to marry since we never really live as husband/wife.). I told my current husband this scary situation and he understood it. Will I be charge of bigamy by the state of FL? Or should I sign this divorce paper? or should I divorce my current husband first? please advice
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Good evening. I am Loren, a Florida licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Your second marriage is voidable. A bigamous marriage is grounds for annullment. It is not likely you will be charged criminally since there was no intent to defraud anyone, but you need to divorce the first husband and then remarry the second.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Are you still online with me?