How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 31787
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I would like to add my daugters name to the deed of my house.

Customer Question

I would like to add my daugters name to the deed of my house. What is involved?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
HI - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist. This is a very simple process. All you will need to do is have a local lawyer draw up a deed from you to you and your daughter, and then file the deed at the court house with the land records clerk. The only real question is how you want to jointly own the property. You can own it together as joint tenants with rights of survivorship, which means that whoever outlives the other will become 100% owner; you can own it as tenants in common, which means that each of you owns 50% and when either of you pass away, your interest goes to your heirs at law or pursuant to your will (it doesn't automatically transfer to the joint owner); or you could own a life estate, which is where you deed the property to your daughter, but reserve a life estate that gives you the right to live at the property for the remainder of your life (this is often used as a tool to avoid probate). Once you decide that issue, it's really a simple procedure.