How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 118722
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm using uncontested same-sex

Customer Question

Hello. I'm using for my uncontested same-sex divorce. We were required to select a single parent has having physical custody and then we selected joint legal custody. In reality we have joint physical custody as well. Can we reflect this on the divorce paperwork or should we only select a single parent as having physical custody? Here is the email sent directing me to you for answers.
I'm sorry for any confusion. The forms will typically reflect one parent with physical custody and joint legal custody. One parent usually has physical custody and this address is used for school registration purposes. If you choose that both parents have physical custody, you will need to review your forms and tell us what needs to be changed to reflect your agreement. We would need you to tell us what needs to be changed on the forms and the exact verbiage you would like to use. If you are unsure, you can use the live lawyers link to help you get the right verbiage and guarantee court approval. Please let us know if you need further assistance.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you want joint physical custody with a primary residence for school purposes, you can do so. You need to tell the company that you are going to have joint physical and legal custody with Parent A's address the child's address for school purposes only. This is done all the time. The language is, "Parties shall enjoy joint physical and legal custody over minor child. For purposes of school registration only, the child's address shall be the same address as Parent X."