Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My sons dad does not pay child support. I had a modification

Customer Question
done april 2013 where he...
My sons dad does not pay child support. I had a modification done april 2013 where he was suppose to see him more in lieu of child support but that has not happened in over a year. What do I do or how can I apply for child support w-out spending 1000's on a lawyer?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
4/11/2016
Family Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

The Florida courts put forms for these things online so parents can file on their own without a lawyer. Here are the forms and instructions for requesting a modification to child support.

http://www.flcourts.org/core/fileparse.php/533/urlt/905b.pdf

If you modified the parenting plan back in 2013, then you'd want the form to modify it back:

http://www.flcourts.org/core/fileparse.php/533/urlt/rDone905a.pdf

Also, he's in violation of the court order. You ONLY agreed to give up child support because he agreed to act like a father. And then he flat-out ignored his end of the bargain. You could ask the judge to order him to pay you the support he WOULD have paid if you hadn't entered the agreement. It basically sounds like he only promised to be a father to trick you into agreeing he didn't need to support his child, and that makes him look VERY bad to a judge. Here are the forms and instructions for contempt.

http://www.flcourts.org/core/fileparse.php/533/urlt/960.pdf

It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Thank you.

Lucy, Esq., Lawyer