How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Christopher B, Esq. Your Own Question
Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2982
Experience:  associate attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Christopher B, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been divorced years. My youngest is 17 and turns

Customer Question

I have been divorced for 12 years. My youngest is 17 and turns 18 in September. Our divorce was shared custody and he give me $150 per week which was determined by our incomes at the time of our divorce. The kids were supposed to live with him one week and me one week. My 17 year old has been living with me full time for a couple years and my income is way less than when we divorced. He is not giving me any more money. My other two kids are 21 and 23 now. Is there anything i can do at this point.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship. It is very difficult to have child support changed. There must a "material change in circumstances". Normally this is a loss of a job or a move or a big change in circumstance. If the child is living with you full time and not with the father much at all then that might qualify but it will depend on the Judge. All you need is one reason and then you could have the child support re-calculated. I would hire an attorney to look at your circumstances and it might even be possible to have your ex pay for the attorney's fees (although this is not a great chance). Then that attorney can make a petition to modify child support because of a material change in circumstance. Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated for my time by the site.
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Just checking back in, did you have any further questions?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would like a refund. You basically just told me to get a lawyer. I was wondering if it is worth it to even start the process. But your answer was nothing but what I already knew. Please refund as I am low in funds to begin with.
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
I am a user on this site just like you, I was paid nothing for answering your question as you did not rate me. I do not have access to the billing and you will need to contact customer service to get a refund. I would like to make you satisfied as a customer if I can, it costs nothing to follow up if you have more questions. I did tell you more than just to get an attorney. If you think you can handle a motion ex parte and put on evidence to show you have a material change in circumstance and that you should have your child support increased, then you should do so. Most people are not capable and that is why I recommended that you retain an attorney. You could possibly do this with the decrease in income, but like I said the burden regarding a motion like this is very high as the court does not want to revisit this issue every year or so. I would say it is probably unlikely that the court would grant you an increase in support but I do not have your full story which is why I gave you the advice I did. Again, I would like to satisfy you as a customer, please let me know what i can do to help further.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.