Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My son will turn 17 in June and he wants to live with is dad.

Customer Question
We do have a child...
My son will turn 17 in June and he wants to live with is dad. We do have a child custody agreement through the court of tazewell county Illinois. Can I just get the custody agreement dropped
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
4/9/2016
Family Lawyer: Christopher B, Esq., Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Christopher B, Esq.
My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship. If you have an order in place from the Judge, the Judge would have to confirm this custody agreement and validate it. You would need to get a joint motion filed that would transfer custody to your ex husband and any other agreements the two of you would want to put in place. You could do this together and without an attorney but it might be best if both of you agree to use 1 attorney together to save money. This is a pretty easy process if you both agree. Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated for my time by the site.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't want to switch custody I want to drop it and the child support to
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He is old enough to make is own decision s
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We were never married
If there is an order in place, you cannot simply drop custody and just because your son wants to live with his father, doesn't mean that you drop all of your obligations. You as a parent are obligated to support your child and if the court ordrs it you will have to pay it. You cannot simply say it is your son's decision.
Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?
Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Lawyer