How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 116712
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am attempting to collect a debt of $36,000 in back child

Customer Question

I am attempting to collect a debt of $36,000 in back child support. We are no longer in the system but have a written legal/notarized agreement for payments to be made $200.00 per month until such time that he is granted a large lump sum payment for a disability claim he is/was waiting for. This person is a veteran and has come into the money, but says he has not. How do I go about getting my money and documention that he has received his 100% disability payments. What legal action can I take? We do not live in the same state, so I don't know what purchases he's making or what he is doing with the money. I know the last time this happened and he received a lump sum payment, he went out and purchased an Esclade!
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You have to file a breach of contract suit against him, since you have a written notarized agreement and the court would treat that as your contract. Once you file suit in court against him, then you can send him a request for production of documents and make him produce those documents and you can also get a subpoena from the court once you file suit to serve on the banks where you know he has accounts to get the account information.