How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 16721
Experience:  Licensed experienced Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My brother is in jail until late 2017, and the mother has passed

Customer Question

My brother is in jail until late 2017, and the mother has passed on and the people who have the boys now are trying to take away my brothers parenting rights, is it possible? Or does he still have a say as to where he wants his boys to stay?
JA: OK. The Family Lawyer will need to help you with this. Anything else I can tell the Family Lawyer before I connect you two?
Customer: Mo
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Family Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** am a US licensed attorney and I will be happy to answer your question.I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.Please note, I cannot comment on your specific situation, as this services is only limited to general information and for any legal advice / legal service you should contact your local attorney.What is your brother in jail for?Was your brother parenting rights restricted or reviewed by the court before or during his incarceration?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is jail for manslaughter, and no no parenting rights were reviewed .
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your follow up.Unfortunately, someone who is incarcerated (especially for a major violent felony), would generally not have much input into what happens to the minor children when custodial parent dies and the only option would be for the incarcerated person to hire an experienced local child custody attorney to represent him in any child custody / termination of parental rights proceedings.I am very sorry to provide you with this bad news, but please understand that I do have professional obligation to provide customers with correct answers, even when answer is not favorable to the customer.I wish you the best of luck and God bless you!
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know ifyou have any related follow up questions?If not, pleasepositively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.Thank you.