How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 19127
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A question about a gift JA: The Family Lawyer will need to

Customer Question

a question about a gift
JA: The Family Lawyer will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: An ex partner gave me their old wedding ring as a gift. They now want it back and said they will go to court. I was given a typed Transfer of ownership, written by the gifter, to me, the giftee and states "Ownership of the following goods is hereby being transferred on December 7, 2013 from XXXX to me. (then a full description of the property)
JA: OK. The Family Lawyer will need to help you with this. Anything else I can tell the Family Lawyer before I connect you two?
Customer: The second part of the transfer reads as follows- "This gift serves as an attempt to compensate for previously caused disappointment and anguish, and to transform it into a positive experience. (Giftee) shall have full rights and title to the ring, and use it in a way decided solely upon by him."
JA: One more time, please.
Customer: that is all
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Family Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Based on the information that you have given, the ring is yours. It is unlikely that the ex partner will prevail in the lawsuit. Make sure you have copies of the agreement to file with your answer to the lawsuit if or when the lawsuit is filed. Kindly give a positive rating to my post so that I can receive credit for answering your question—so that part of the deposit that you already paid to the site can be transferred to me. You are not charged extra for doing this. Thank you for your cooperation.

Related Family Law Questions