Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I have Forclosure and judgments against me. I want to get

Customer Question

I have Forclosure and judgments against me. I want to get married now. Will my wife become responsible for my debt? If yes is there a way to avoid that. Will just shaking up avoid this problem?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.
The answer is no. Your wife will not become responsible for debts you accumulated before the marriage. Kindly give a positive rating to my post so that I can receive credit for answering your question—so that part of the deposit that you already paid to the site can be transferred to me. You are not charged extra for doing this. Thank you for your cooperation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Aren't after marriage all properties belong to both? And if yes why can't creditors go after that?
Aren't after marriage all properties belong to both? Response 1: No, that is not correct. All properties acquired before the marriage are the separate properties of the spouse who acquired them UNLESS that spouse later puts the other spouse on the title of the separate properties. And if yes why can't creditors go after that? Response 2: Not applicable. Separate properties are properties of the spouse who acquired them. If that spouse is the spouse that owes the debts, then creditors can after the properties for satisfaction of the debts.