How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 102146
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am in California...does it matter what state we are in for

Customer Question

I am in California...does it matter what state we are in for Family Law when CPS is involved?
JA: The Family Lawyer will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: One or both of my sons, whom are 12 and 10 have allegations of molestation against them by one or both my neice, 3 yrs old and nephew, 5 yrs old. That's all we have been told so far.
JA: Anything else I can tell the Family Lawyer before I connect you two?
Customer: My brother in law, their father, lives in our house and he has partial custody of his children. He has court next week, he is trying to get almost 50% custody of them.
JA: OK. The Family Lawyer will need to help you with this. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Family Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. I am sorry to hear about this situation. For investigation purposes, whatever state the children are in, that state's (and county's) CPS will investigate. So if there is an ongoing investigation and the family moves out of state, the CPS from the old state may alert CPS in the new state to continue the investigation. I say may because cooperation between different CPS agencies is on a case by case basis and not streamlined. If the state - via CPS - files for custody in Court, it can do so where the child has last lived for 6+ months, but can file in any court for emergency orders. I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!

Related Family Law Questions