How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11764
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Iowa and have gotten legal custody of my

Customer Question

Hello. I live in Iowa and have gotten legal custody of my nephew for the 3rd time from his father. Just recently (after 1 year in CINA) the Court decided to change the permanency goal from re-unification to Guardianship with a relative. I filed pro-se at the beginning to intervene. I am also the only relative here. The Court gave another 6 month extension to get paperwork filed for Guardianship. I thought that DHS would be doing this but then found out that I'm the one that has to file. I'm not able to get a lawyer here in this area. I called a law school here but they aren't representing anyone in Family law right now and I called Legal Aid who told me that thee is a conflict of interest due to a past or present client which would be compromised. Meaning they did some kind of representation for my nephews father. There is an e-file now and I only have access to the Judges Orders and DHS files. The child's attorney sends me her reports. But the attorney for the father doesn't supply me with any paperwork that she files nor does FSRP supply my with their reports. According to the e-file they are required to by Iowa Court rules to do this. The Judge knows about it but failed to do anything 3 times. They want to do the Guardianship without terminating the parental rights of the father. The father has an IQ under 60 but DHS failed to put that paperwork into their report. They got a copy of this from Kirkwood C.C. who did the test. I need help in filing the right paperwork the right way for the Guardianship.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question.
I am afraid that state law forbids any expert on this site from actually representing you or any other customer on the site. If you need local counsel, please use the same sites used by other attorneys, or
If you cannot afford counsel locally, please call the IA bar association and ask them for the pro bono attorneys in your area for assistance in this matter.
You are NOT being charged for this response and you can contact customer service at for a refund of any deposit if you like or at***@******.*** or you can call Just Answer customer service at(###) ###-####
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call + Legal Discussion by Email + Write Legal Documents + Legal Research on Case Law, Codes, etc.. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
We cannot represent you, just so you are clear. That means we cannot draft pleadings for you for submission to court, we can only provide you general information regarding your specific questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well you said that I wasn't being charged for your response, but I did get charged on my credit card.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And I called the Iowa Bar Association and they don't have a listing for Pro- Bono Attorneys because it's not required in Iowa.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
You have made a deposit only and if you would have followed instructions given above you could have recovered that deposit and you can still do so.
Best wishes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The deposit was 5 dollars and then I got charged another 42 dollars.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Please follow the instructions you were given. Experts here are not site employees and we can do nothing about the payment issues with the site, you must contact customer service as you were instructed.
If the expert could help you here with your payment issue they would gladly do so, but we cannot and you were given instructions you need to follow to get a refund. Good day.