How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Michael Gonzalez Your Own Question
Michael Gonzalez
Michael Gonzalez,
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 519
Experience:  Managing Member at EWF Title, LLC
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Michael Gonzalez is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife passed away in Feb. We were not together yr but

Customer Question

My wife passed away in Feb. We were not together for 3 yr but still legally married. I signed over my rights to burial to her father. Now he wants me to sign a renunciation of administration letter. What is this letter for? I have 2 kids by her and want to make sure they get what they are entitled to. Her father has been dishonest before and I don't trust him
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Michael Gonzalez replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

To administer the estate, those who are entitled must apply for 'letters of administration'. If you are entitled to make such an application, but you do not wish to be involved in the administration of the estate, you can use this document to renounce this right. Note that by renouncing your right to a grant, you will NOT affect any entitlement you may have to benefit from the estate; you are merely declining to become involved in the administration.

Unless there's something strange in the language, it is a procedural matter to expedite appointing the administrator without hassle (otherwise the court has to notify you and wait for you to object to the appointment). You're likely (only) renouncing your right to object to the appointment.

Expert:  Michael Gonzalez replied 1 year ago.

Please accept my answer and be so kind as to rate me so that I may receive credit.


Related Family Law Questions