How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 29986
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm trying to get divorced I live in Nome Alaska and my

Customer Question

Hi I'm trying to get divorced I live in Nome Alaska and my wife lives in San Diego California. I have all the paper work to get a dissolution of the marriage with no kids and we have no assets together except for two dogs that we both agree that we will each keep the one we currently have in our possession. My problem is the papers I have, have to be signed and notarized. How do we both sign it and have it notorized when we live in different states. Can have her sign it and get her signature notarized and then have her send it to me and I sight my area and get it notarized? Just kinda confused on how that works and what my options are.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Yes, you should be able to each sign the papers separately and have each signature witnessed by a different notary if the papers require that both spouses sign. The other option is to file forms that only you have to sign (which is what happens when the spouses can't agree or only one spouse wants a divorce). Or you could fly to San Diego and get the forms notarized together, but that's probably not the best option if you weren't already planning a trip to CA.

It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you know witch forms I can fill out that don't require her signature. Flying to San Diego is not an option mainly cause I don't want to have to see her. I need like step by step instructions one how to do it and witch forms I need filled out.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

The state of Alaska puts step-by-step instructions on their website at the link I've given you. They have classes you can take for help filling out the forms if you prefer to have someone more hands-on help you. They also have a Help Center you can call or visit to get much more in-depth help than what I am allowed to give.

The packet of forms for a contested divorce without minor children is here.

If you have a specific question about something in the packet, I am happy to answer it. But I can't give you better instructions than the state of Alaska for filling out their own forms. It wouldn't make any sense for me to just copy/paste their directions without knowing what it is you're looking for help with, and I'm afraid I can't afford to spend several hours retyping it.

Related Family Law Questions