How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Amber E. Your Own Question
Amber E.
Amber E., Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1482
Experience:  Experienced practitioner in family law, including divorce, custody, and domestic violence cases.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Amber E. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do I file contempt charges against my ex-wife? What

Customer Question

How do I file contempt charges against my ex-wife? What forms do I use if i wish to file the contempts myself?Thank you
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Amber E. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, thank you for your question.Contempt proceedings are typically initiated by the filing of what we call a petition for contempt (sometimes it is referred to as a motion for contempt).Courts generally have their own forms, one need only contact the clerk of court to get one.However, if the court does not have forms, there are form books in the legal section of the library.In both cases, the contempt packet of forms includes instructions. But the process for filing anything is pretty uniform, the documents are signed where indicated and taken to the court, the filing fee is paid and the case is set before a judge for a hearing. The other party is served so that they get an opportunity to respond and explain themselves.Attorneys may also be hired for the limited purpose of drafting the contempt documents, which is less expensive than full representation. Sometimes an attorney may be necessary if the accusations are particularly complex.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  Amber E. replied 1 year ago.
You're very welcome!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I rate you. I have no further questions
Expert:  Amber E. replied 1 year ago.
Let me try this and see if the rating system pops up, just a moment.
Expert:  Amber E. replied 1 year ago.
You should see it now. Thanks.

Related Family Law Questions