How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 117370
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Dear Ms. Wilson, my spouse filed in NYS. She

Customer Question

Dear Ms. Wilson,
my spouse filed for divorce in NYS. She has been dragging the whole process
JA: The Family Lawyer will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: My spouse is dragging the whole process. She left the marriage and only filed because I insisted we arrive at a solution. She refused to collaborate, refused mediation. When she finally filed, she (her attorney) did not request judicial intervention (contested divorce). Based on the way the children behave, it seems she is manipulating the, she interferes with my parenting time. Basically, she has made my life a constant nightmare. Could you share any of your experiences and provide possible approaches I could pursue?
JA: OK. The Family Lawyer will need to help you with this. Anything else I can tell the Family Lawyer before I connect you two?
Customer: Not at the moment.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Family Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Just because her attorney did not file for contested divorce does not mean you cannot answer her petition for divorce with your own answer and counterclaim for contested divorce, which would put it on a court docket and time table which would force her to take action and proceed with cooperating or you can push the case to the court and get court intervention. If you are relying on her and she is still hooked on you, then this is why she is dragging things out.
As far as manipulating the children, this is a low life attorney or low life ex tactic to keep control and to punish the other parent. If she is interfering with parenting time and not cooperating, the next step you need to take is you must consider getting your own attorney and filing a counterclaim in the divorce to make it contested and then file for a modification of custody and present evidence to the court she is manipulating the children and ask the court to award you custody and her visitation (if you want) or if not at least once the court gets an order in place if she does not follow it you can take her to court then for contempt of court and get the court to fine her and even award you attorney's fees for her non-compliance.

Related Family Law Questions