How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask S. Kincaid Your Own Question
S. Kincaid
S. Kincaid, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2512
Experience:  I have practiced family law since 1996, focusing on child custody and domestic violence
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
S. Kincaid is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A question Minnesota family law attorneyQuestion: In

Customer Question

A question for a Minnesota family law attorney
Question: In MN must a parent pay more than they earn or can afford in child support?1. Here’s the situation, the ex-wife (mom of the kids) is living in another state and the ex-husband remarried and lives in Minnesota with full custody of both kids with his new wife.2. The ex-wife works making less than 30K per year and is a single parent to another set of kids, so she already faces extreme hardship trying to make ends meet.3. The Ex-husband sued for child support in Minnesota and won, so now the minimum amount is being deducted from the Ex-wife’s paycheck for both kids.4. The husband earns approximately 80K annually from pensions, not counting the new wife’s income.5. The ex-wife / mom of the two kids would love to support her kids from the first marriage but does not have enough to feed her new set of kids. The daddy of the new kids is sick/hospitalized without any benefits. The couple is not married and currently not in contact with each other.A. Does the mother have to live in fear that an unexpected medical expense such as braces which could cost 5K and leave her responsible for coming up with half or $2500, which she does not have, for her kids with the ex husband in Minnesota?B. Since the mother does not earn enough to take care of her new set of kids can she legally find a way to stop the wage garnishments from her already low wages?Thanks
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  S. Kincaid replied 1 year ago.
A. Does the court order say anything about medical, dental or orthodontic costs? Can you attach a copy? B. What percentage of her disposable income is being garnished?
Also, do you have a copy of the worksheets showing how child support was calculated?